Friday, September 26, 2014

Co-laborers

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service."
-Romans 12:1

When I first came to faith I used to imagine myself like one of the ancient martyrs.  Losing my life for the faith of Christ seems, to most, the pinnacle of service to God.  Not until several years later did I realize the importance of this verse in Romans.

God indeed calls some to lay down their earthly lives for Him.  However, I realize now He calls each of us to give up our lives, even if we enjoy many ongoing years on this earth.  Why should I be confident that I would lay down my life and die for my faith if I'm not willing to lay it down and live for it?

At Kudjip I enjoy the privilege of working with incredible physicians who live their lives in a sacrificial service.  Having met, learned from and loved them - I want to share them with you.  I can never put enough words to the testimonies that their lives represent to me, but I will try to give you a glimpse into how they've affected me.





Dr. Jim Radcliffe currently recovers from open heart surgery in the US, but plans to return in about three months and resume caring for the sick and needy as a surgeon at Kudjip - a position he's filled like nobody else could for the past thirty years.  He life and ministry, praying with all of his patients, speaks to his endurance.




Dr. Bill McCoy I cannot say enough about.  Bill attended my birth in Tulsa, Oklahoma thirty two years ago and has remained close to our family.  He is a large part of the reason our family moved to Kudjip and his mentorship and now friendship, along with his wife Marsha, has smoothed our transition here in humbling ways.




Dr. Susan Myers left practice in the United States and moved to Kudjip with a young family over a decade ago.  She now serves as the director of medical services and her patience with me as I learn to function in the Kudjip system reassures me in times that I wonder if I can continue here.  She has a special ministry for our children with congenital heart disease.




Dr. Andy Bennett loves on his patients and gets to know them outside of their illness.  He also works every week to correct club-feet in young PNG children who would otherwise spend their entire lives crippled.  If you need help remembering the fourth verse of an old hymn, ask Andy.  Andy's heart-felt care and encouragements remind me of my dad.




Dr. Scott Dooley runs the whole show.  I don't get to work with him much in the hospital, but it is great to have a fellow "visionary" to discuss grandiose and entirely speculative ideas with.  I'm very pleased my neighbor is back from his home assignment.




Dr. Erin Meier never let an eye-lid droop while she watched over Levi in our scariest time since moving here.  Erin works hard, plays hard and lives on purpose and I enjoyed having her as my stand-in mentor during Bill's absence.  She also sees about half of the patients at the hospital on any given day which makes for the occasional early afternoon off - thanks Erin!




Dr. Imelda Assaigo has the best smile on station.  She works toward a Master's degree in rural medicine and seamlessly became an integral part of the team here, even though she is technically still "in traning"  She also keeps me honest in my Tok Pijin.




Dr. Scot Pringle and his wife Tyronza have been here for 4 of the 9 months that we have.  He retired from OB/Gyn practice in the states and comes at least once a year to Kudjip and takes OB call every third night, relieving the pressure on the rest of us.  Scot makes me laugh and Tyronza perpetually hosts people in their home, often making us classic home-cooked meals!





Dr. Ted Henderson arrived in the last week.  I've already enjoyed a hearty basketball and soccer game with Ted.  I blog-stalked Ted before he came and in a way he has felt like a part of our team for a while.  It's great to have he and his wife Rachel as new neighbors.




Dr. Ben Radcliffe, a surgeon and Jim's son, and his wife Dr. Katherine will be here in January.  Ben and Katherine received the same Steury scholarship that Esther and I did in medical school.  Though I've not met them yet, what I know of their family and their hearts makes me think there couldn't be a better recipient.  Ben and Katherine and their young family will become our newest neighbors, rounding out station life on the "north end" and putting a couple more playful boys down here in the middle of all the girls.




"I pray, O God, especially for all who -
are valiant for truth,
are working for purer and juster laws,
are working for peace between the nations,
are engaged in healing disease,
are engaged in the relief of poverty,
are engaged in the rescue of the fallen,
are working toward the restoration of the broken unity of Thy holy church,
preach the Gospel,
bear witness to Christ in foreign lands,
suffer for righteousness' sake"

-John Baillie

1 comment:

  1. Rachel and Ted Henderson are 2 fine people. Always there for everyone. Greatly miss and love them. Kim at WEAG

    ReplyDelete